Skip to content

Slow Cooked Meats are Among My Top Ten Interests

January 21, 2011

I'll make you a champion, recipe below.

What is better: genocide or pulled pork?

99% of people would agree pulled pork is better. (I’m leaving a 1% margin for the fascist vegetarians out there; but let’s be honest, no one cares what vegetarians think.)

There is a lot to love about cuts of meat that are meant to be slow cooked. They are massive, cheap, and flavorful. Also, when cooked, they smell like fame and taste like glory.

Braise them (w/ beer and onions!), barbecue them (try spice and smoke!) – either way the world will be a better place.

Start with the recipe below, and maybe together we can eliminate all the vegetarian fascists… just to be clear, we’ll still have fascists. Baby steps.

Open-Faced Porchetta Sandwich w/ Caramelized Apples and White Beans

The original recipe is from Martha Stewart Living, October 2010, below is the recipe with my minimal modifications.

For the pork:

  • 2(ish) tablespoons rendered goose fat (this gives great flavor, but you can use bacon fat or ye olde canola)
  • 2 Medium onions
  • 1  6-7lbs bone-in pork shoulder (or pork butt, depending on your butcher – they are the same thing) at room temperature
  • Salt/pepper
  • 1/2 to 1 head of garlic (depending on your ability to NOT sweat garlic out… let’s just say I use only 1/2 a head)
  • 2 teaspoons toasted and ground fennel seeds (you’ll appreciate the pretension)
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1-  12 oz bottle of porter
  • 1-  10.5 oz can Campbell’s Low Sodium Chicken Broth (Ok, so this is ridiculously specific but I love this broth! 6% sodium – are you kidding me?!? Obviously, you can use any sodium packed version of chicken broth you can get your grubby hands on but this is my broth of choice.)
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees
  2. Heat 1 (ish) tablespoon of fat of choice in a dutch oven on med-high heat, add onions. Stir occasionally, until caramelized – about 25 mins. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
  3. Season pork on both sides with salt and pepper. Add an additional 1 (ish) tablespoon of fat of choice to dutch oven, sear pork on each side for about 5 mins. I like to sear the leaner side of the pork first, this way the fatter side is on the bottom for the bulk of the cooking.
  4. Add garlic and spices to pot and cook until fragrant. Add porter and onions (gently lift your pork so some liquid gets underneath) and bring to a simmer. Cover and transfer to oven and cook, basting once an hour, for four hours. The meat should fall right off the bone.
  5. Shred amount of pork you will be using.

…Sometime during the four hours this is cooking make the caramelized apples, which are easily reheated.

For the caramelized apples, also found in Martha Stewart Living, October 2010 :

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 apples, cored and sliced into wedges
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon water
  1. Melt butter
  2. Cook apples, sugar, and water, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and sauce has caramelized, about 20 minutes.
  3. Store in fridge if you make this in advance. If you don’t make it in advance, probably just leave it in the pan

For the beans:

  • 2 cans  ready to eat great white northern beans, drained (I realize this is another opportunity to discuss sodium, but won’t because I don’t like to use the dried version of these beans)
  • 3 (ish) tablespoons braising liquid (remember that pork in the oven?)
  • 1/2 teaspoon bacon fat (I can’t help myself, but if you can feel free to leave it out)
  1. Prepare just before pork comes out of oven. Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer while you are pulling the pork.

Serve atop crusty baguette slices with mixed greens, drizzle with au jus for added yum.

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. Joe permalink
    January 27, 2011 6:51 pm

    Ok, I finally figured out how to post comments (and it was very easy). Pairing meats with fruits is one of the ways I can cope with having to deal with…..FRUITS. They are so strange, and send tingles down my spine.

    But the recipe is delicious!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: